Dr. Christian HaberlandHelmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Section 2.2, Geophysical Deep Sounding
Telegrafenberg, E 323
Phone: +49 331 288 1810
Fax: +49 331 288 1266
Analysis of seismic signals of both (local) earthquakes and controlled sources in order to study structure of and processes at active plate boundaries such as subduction zones and continental shear zones. Among the methods I use are local earthquake tomography, analysis of seismic attenuation, modelling of guided waves, and array and migration techniques. Much of my work is focussed on South America and the Middle East. Furthermore, I am interested in technical aspects of field experiments/data acquisition and seismic instruments.
- TIPTIMON (PI of sub-project dealing with structure & evolution of faults in the Kyrgyz Tienshan; Co-PI of seismological network in Tadjikistan; BMBF funded)
- LISP-WAL/SPP-Sample (Co-PI of controlled source seismic project; DFG-funded)
- FERGANA (Co-PI of seismological network; GFZ-funded)
- „Sustainability concepts for exploitation of geothermal reservoirs in Indonesia“ (CO-PI of seismological exploration part; BMBF-funded)
- MARISCOS (Co-PI of seismological part; DFG-funded)
- Sept. 2007 - Head of Geophysical Instrument Pool (GIPP) at GFZ; Research Scientist
- 2003 - 2007 Research Scientist at University of Potsdam, SFB 267 "Deformation processes in the Andes", Project TIPTEQ; lecturer;
- 1998 - 2003 Research Scientist at the GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ), Section 2.2; lecturer at the University of Greifswald (2000, 2001) and University of Potsdam (2002/2003); Participation in the DESERT Project, accomplishment of controlled source seismic experiments in the Middle East (DESERT-CSA) and Namibia.
- 1993 - 1998 Scientific Researcher at the Free University of Berlin, FG Geophysics. Participation in the SFB 267, "Deformation Processes in the Andes", involved in controlled source experiments and seismological networks in Europe and South America, accomplishment of the ANCORP seismological network (Chile, Bolivia)
- 1993 Scientific Researcher at the GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ), SFB 267 "Deformation Processes in the Andes"
- 1999 PhD (Dr. rer. nat., Free University of Berlin), Title: "Distribution of the Attenuation of Seismic Waves in the Western Central Andes" (in german)
- 1993 Diploma in Geophysics (Free University of Berlin), Title: "Transversalisotropie lamellierter Krustenbereiche bei refraktionsseismischen Untersuchungen"
- 1986 - 1993 Free University of Berlin & University of Hamburg - Geophysics
- Member of the Deutsche Geophysikalische Gesellschaft (DGG) and the American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Reviewer for Tectonophysics, Geophysical Research Letters (GRL), Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR), Geophysical Journal International (GJI), and Journal of Seismology; reviewer of several international funding agencies