Prof. Dr. Jochen ZschauHelmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Section 2.1, Earthquake Risk and Early Warning
Helmholtzstraße 7, H7 303
Phone: +49 331 288 1288
Fax: +49 331 288 1204
earth tides, mantle rheology, earthquakes, volcanism, geological hazards and risks, seismic early warning
2011 – current Member of the coordination committee of the EU-project “Strategies and tools for Real time Earthquake Risk Reduction (REAKT)”
2010 – current Coordinator of the EU-project “New Multi-Hazard and Multi-Risk Assessment Methods for Europe (MATRIX)”
- German coordinator of the German-Turkish project on earthquake research at the North-Anatolian Fault
- German coordinator of the German-Indonesian volcano project MERAPI
- Coordinator of the EU-project “Seismic Early Warning for Europe”
- Co-director of the Global OECD-initiative “GEM: Global Earthquake Model” for mapping, monitoring and communicating earthquake risk globally
|1979||Doctor of Sciences (Habilitation), Christian-Albrechts-University (CAU), Kiel|
|1974||PhD, CAU, Kiel|
|1969||Diploma in Geophysics, University of Munich|
|since 1992||Head of GFZ-Section “Earthquake Risk and Early Warning”|
|since 1992||Professor of Geophysics at the Institute of Geosciences, University of Potsdam|
|1992 - 2010||Director of GFZ-Department “Desaster Research” and “Physics of the Earth” respectively|
|1980 - 1992||Professor and Director at the Department of Geophysics, Christian-Albrechts-University (CAU), Kiel|
|1979 - 1980||Docent at the Department of Geophysics, CAU Kiel|
|1978||Visiting Fellow at the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, Boulder, Colorado, USA|
|1974 - 1979||Scientific Assistant, Associate Professor at the Department of Geophysics, CAU, Kiel|
|1969 - 1974||Research Fellow, Geophysics, CAU, Kiel|
|1993 - current||Chairman of the German Task Force Committee for Earthquakes|
2009 - 2010
2006 - 2009
|GEM (Global Earthquake Model)
- Vice-Chair of the Governing Board
- Chairman of the OECD-Global Science Forum Advisory Board for establishing GEM
|2010 - current
2008 - 2010
2006 - 2008
2002 - 2006
|European Seismological Commission-
- Past Vice President
- Vice President
|Chairman of the international Science Advisory Board to the “Central-Asian Institute for Applied Geosciences (CAIAG)”, Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic|
|2005 - 2011||German-Indonesian Project for setting up the Tsunami Early Warning System for the Indian Ocean” (GITEWS)Project coordinator for the Earthquake Monitoring System|
Co-Chair of WG “Earthquake Preparedness and Civil Defence of the ESC”
Co-chairman of the “Center of Disaster Management and Risk Reduction Technology (CEDIM)”
|Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German Committee for Disaster Reduction|
|2001-2003||German representative in the Working group on “Early Warning” of the UN-ISDR Inter-Agency Task Force on Disaster Reduction|
|2001-2003||Steering-Committee-Member of the EU-MEDIA-Program (Mediterranean Disaster Information Network)|
|1996 -2002||Chairman of the Subcommission on Earthquake Prediction of the European Seismological Commission|
|1994-2000||Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German IDNDR-Committee|
|1994-2000||Vice-President of the European Advisory Evaluation Committee for Earthquake Prediction of the Council of Europe|
|1994-1996||Chairman of WG “Field Observatories and Techniques” of ESC Subcommission on EQ prediction|
|since 1992||International Training Courses on Seismology and Seismic Hazard Assessment
- under his directorship,
- since then hundreds of participants, mainly from the developing world
- International Conference on Early Warning (EWC) under the UN umbrella
- Chairman of the Scientific Part of EWC III, Bonn 2006
- Chairman of the European Conference for the Preparation of EWC II, Potsdam 2003
- Chairman of the First international Conference on Early Warning (EWC98), Potsdam 1998
- EGU Sergey Soloviev Medal 2009
- Life Fellowship of the Association of Exploration Geophysicists of India; 1984
- Honorary Member of the Association of Hydrologists, India; 1982
- Motagh, M., J. Hoffmann, B. Kampes, M. Baes, and J. Zschau (2007b), Strain accumulation across the Gazikoy-Saros segment of the North Anatolian Fault inferred from Persistent Scatterer Interferometry and GPS measurements, Earth And Planetary Science Letters, 255(3-4), 432-444.
- Wang, R., M. Wyss, J. Zschau, Y. Xia, C. Prentice, W. Ellsworth, and P. Hellweg (2006a), Near real-time source parameters for earthquake loss estimates; Bam, 26 December 2003, Seismological Research Letters, 77(2), 290.
- Wahlström, R., S. Tyagunov, G. Grünthal, L. Stempniewski, J. Zschau, and M. Müller (2004b), Seismic Risk Analysis for Germany: Methodology and Preliminary Results, in Disasters and society from hazard assessment to risk reduction, edited by D. Malzahn and T. Plapp, pp. 83-90.
- Wang, R., Y. Xia, H. Grosser, H. U. Wetzel, H. Kaufmann, and J. Zschau (2004a), The 2003 Bam (SE Iran) earthquake: precise source parameters from satellite radar interferometry, Geophysical Journal International, 159(3), 917-922.
- Westerhaus, M., M. Wyss, R. Yilmaz, and J. Zschau (2002), Correlating variations of b values and crustal deformations during the 1990s may have pinpointed the rupture initiation of the Mw=7.4 Izmit earthquake of 1999 August 17, Geophysical Journal International, 148(1), 139-152.
- Hainzl, S., G. Zöller, J. Kurths, and J. Zschau (2000), Seismic quiescence as an indicator for large earthquakes in a system of self-organized criticality, Geophysical Research Letters, 27(5), 597-600.
- Rabbel, W., and J. Zschau (1985), Static deformations and gravity changes at the Earth's surface due to atmospheric loading, Journal of Geophysics, 56(2), 81-99.
- Zschau, J. (1978a), Tidal friction in the solid Earth; loading tides versus body tides, in Tidal friction and the Earth's rotation, edited by P. Brosche and J. Sündermann, pp. 63-93, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.Co-Editor of two books on Seismic Early Warning
- Gasparini, P., G. Manfredi, and J. Zschau (Eds.) (2007), Earthquake Early Warning Systems, 350 pp., Springer, Berlin.
- Zschau, J., and A. N. Küppers (Eds.) (2003), Early Warning Systems for Natural Disaster Reduction, 834 pp., Springer, Berlin.