Dr. Eoghan HolohanHelmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Section 2.1, Earthquake Risk and Early Warning
Helmholtzstraße 7, H7 320
Phone: +49 331 288 28675
- The structural development of subsidence phenomena, such as collapse calderas, pit craters and sinkholes.
- The structural development of volcanic edifices and sub-volcanic intrusions and their relationships to regional tectonics.
- Integration of field studies, geophysical observations, and geodetic measurements with analogue and numerical models.
- "InSAR analysis and 3D-DEM modelling of active calderas" - co-funded by Marie Curie Actions and the Irish Research Council (2009-2012).
- “DEM modelling of the onset and kinematic evolution of caldera collapse” - funded by the Irish Research Council (2007-2009).
- "The effects of strike-slip faulting on calderas" - funded by Enterprise Ireland (2005).
- “An experimental study of the geometry and kinematics of caldera subsidence” – funded by Trinity College Dublin (2002-2007).
- B.A. in Natural Sciences (2002), Diploma in Statistics (2004) and PhD in Geology (2008) from Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- Broad Curriculum Postgraduate Teaching Fellow at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland (2003-2006)
- Assistant Lecturer in Structural Geology at University College Dublin (UCD), Ireland (2006-2007)
- Government of Ireland Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Fault Analysis Group of UCD Dublin (2007-2009).
- Marie-Curie International Mobility Fellow, based at both UCD Dublin and GFZ Potsdam (2009-2012).
Research Experience, Funding and Project Management:
- Five years of postdoctoral research experience.
- Wrote proposals for, administered, budgeted, and reported upon three publicly funded projects.
- Helped to set-up, fund and manage the Analogue Modelling Laboratory at TCD (2002-2007).
- Secured over € 380,000 from competitive grant schemes and fellowships to date.
- Five years teaching experience of first- to final-year undergraduate courses at TCD and UCD.
- Class formats included small-group tutorials, large-scale lectures, and field excursions.
- Co-supervised or advised on several undergraduate and postgraduate student research projects.
- 45 contributions (several prize-winning or invited) to national or international research meetings.
- 12 peer-reviewed publications in international journals.
- 2 field guides on the geology of the Isle of Rum, a publicly-owned nature reserve in Scotland.
- Co-convenor of several specialist sessions at international conferences.
- Reviewer for 'Nature Geoscience', ‘Journal of Structural Geology’, 'Journal of Volcanology & Geothermal Research', and 'Bulletin of Volcanology'
- Marie Curie-INSPIRE International Mobility Fellowship (2009).
- Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowship (2007).
- Outstanding Student Paper Award, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, USA (2006).
- UCD Seed-Funding Awards (2006 & 2008)
- Enterprise Ireland International Collaboration Travel Award (2005).
- Bob Hunter Memorial Prize for Best Student Talk, Volcanic and Magmatic Studies Group conference, U.K (2005).
- TCD Broad Curriculum Postgraduate Teaching Fellowships (2003 & 2005)
- TCD Postgraduate and Continuing Awards (2002 & 2005).
- Holohan E. P., Walter T.R., Walsh J.J., van Wyk de Vries B., Schöpfer M.P.J., and Troll V.R., (2013), Origins of oblique-slip faulting during caldera subsidence. J. Geophys. Res., in press [doi:10.1002/jgrb.50057]
- Byrne P.K., Holohan E.P., Kervyn M., Van Wyk de Vries B., Murray J.B., Troll V.R., (2013), A spreading-sagging continuum for the structure of large volcanoes. Geology, 41: 339-342 [doi:10.1130/G33990.1]
- Holohan E.P., Schöpfer M.P.J., & Walsh J.J. (2011) Mechanical and geometric controls on the structural evolution of pit crater and caldera subsidence. Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, B07202. [doi:10.1029/2010JB008032]
- Shirzaei M., Walter T.R., Nankali H.R., Holohan E.P. (2011) Gravity-driven deformation of Damavand volcano detected through InSAR time series. Geology, 39: 251-254. [doi:10.1130/G31779.1]
- Holohan E.P., Troll V.R., Errington M., Donaldson C.H., Nicoll G.R., & Emeleus, C.H. (2009) The Southern Mountains Zone, Isle of Rum, Scotland: volcano-sedimentary processes upon an uplifted and subsided magma chamber roof. Geological Magazine, 146: 400-418. [doi:10.1017/S0016756808005876]
- Holohan E.P., Troll V.R., Van Wyk de Vries B., Walsh J.J., & Walter T.R. (2008) Unzipping Long Valley: an explanation for vent migration during an elliptical ring fracture eruption. Geology 36: 323-326. [doi:10.1130/G24329A.1]
- Holohan E.P., Van Wyk de Vries, B., & Troll V.R. (2008) Analogue models of caldera collapse in strike-slip tectonic regimes. Bulletin of Volcanology, 70: 773-796. [doi: 10.1007/s00445-007-0166-x]