ALBERT | All Library Books, journals and Electronic Records Telegrafenberg
The search-engine for the Wissenschaftspark Albert Einstein, a knowledge portal (Version 2)
Our Library search engine ALBERT is much more than a simple library catalog. Of course you can find everything you would expect in a library catalog: including books, journals and maps, print and electronic versions.
But the range of material you can browse is much broader. Find current articles from journals, Open Access articles and older articles accessible through DFG national licences. References from local publication databases, bibliographies and published research data extend the search space.
We offer the following search spaces (Collections):
(1) Books: shows all the results of your search within our monographs holdings (GFZ, PIK, AWI, approximately 80.000 records) and corresponds with a search in a common library catalog. This collection is enlarged by available electronic books [e-book], e.g. the Special Publications of the Geological Society of London (Lyell Collection), as well as electronic books from the DFG national licenses.
Please use beside the usual possibilities to refine your search (Refine) also the following feature:
- Branch library (when you only want to get results within the holdings of the branch libraries PIK or AWI)
Latest Books shows the list of current library acquisitions available for you on the "new acquisitions shelf".
In addition you can see here a list of all items being added to our catalog within the last seven days. This includes also older books from our stock, which we make searchable step by step.
(2) Journals: shows all the search results within our journal collection, electronic journals as well as print journals (approx. 9000 records, this encompasses our subscriptions, access possibilities through consortium agreements, Open Access journals and the so-called DFG national licenses for journal archives). The preconfigured search space includes all accessible core journals for the earth sciences.
‘Show latest articles’ gives you direct access to the articles which were recently made accessible on the publishers’ servers. Including articles featuring as online first, articles in press and which will be printed often a half year later (or longer) and will are not searchable in Web of Science or GeoRef during this period.
Please use beside the usual possibilities to refine your search (Refine) the following possibility:
- Availability: ‘current journals only’ or ‘online journals only’
(3) Articles: is a search area with relevant scientific articles in addition to the search possibilities in classical bibliographical databases.
[Paper Current] contains the newest articles of relevant journals (Current Contents) and especially those articles that are accessible at the publishers’ servers, but not yet available as printed versions and that are therefore not yet referenced in GeoRef or Web of Science. After approximately one year these entries will be removed from our search engine.
[Paper OA] contains world wide freely available relevant articles.
[Paper] enlarges the search space ‘Articles’ with articles from licensed electronic books and articles of journals and articles of books from the DFG national licenses. Especially the articles available throught the national licences open an opportunity to look for older articles which are not included in our Web of Science subscription. You can widen the search space by other relevant subjects of the national licenses through ‘Settings’.
Please use RSS to create your own personal Current Contents-service.
(4) Data: contains published scientific data from various sources. At the moment the metadata on data is from all published data GFZ with DOI [Data GFZ] and from the WDC Pangaea [Data Pangaea]. This search space will be extended.
(5) More: contains entries of the publications databases of the GFZ [Citation GFZ] and of the PIK [Citation PIK] sometimes with accessible full text. Furthermore you find bibliographies of the International Lithosphere Program (ILP) [Citation ILP], of the Deutsches Kontinentales Reflexionsseismisches Programm (DEKORP) [Citation Dekorp] and a bibliography concerning the seismology (F. Roth and others) [Citation Seismologie].
What information is searchable from these sources? All the given information: metadata (authors, title, publishers’ details and similar things) and tables of contents, abstracts, when they are provided and even full texts, when they are openly accessible. Your search terms will marked in the result list.
SFX: Please use the SFX-Button to extend your search in different sources like GeoRef, Web of Science or Google Scholar for authors or your topic.
Show Details: displays content related more information (bibliographic description, book covers, Information on availability and, if possible, a look inside a book via Google books).
RSS (next to the search field): offers the possibility of getting current information on new items in ALBERT that match your search. This will be especially helpfull for current tables of contents from journals or to new acquistions corresponding to your search terms.
Permalink: is for your bookmarks. When we change for example the vendor of the electronic access to a journal, this Permalink is always take you directly to the currently licensed source.
Settings: Personalise your ALBERT. You can regulate the number of displayed results or position ‘Refine’ on the left or the right side. Particularly, you can enlarge the search area with ‘Topics’ with up to 6,000,000 documents from sources of the DFG national licenses.
How does the search work?
- Simple Search combines words usually with the Boolean operator AND. Use wildcards, e.g. antar*ti* to find Antarctic, Antarkis, antarktisch or other forms.
How do I get to know, if the library has for example volume 151 of the Special Publications of the Geological Society of London?
Geological Society London Special Publication 151
Geol* Soc* Spec* Publ* 151
How do I find the journal ‘Geophysical Journal International’?
Geophysical Journal International
How do I find all journals with a ‘geo’ in the title?
*geo* à Collection: Journals
This library-search-engine is a project in cooperation with the Kooperativer Bibliotheksverbund Berlin Brandenburg (KOBV).