About the person
Function and Responsibilities:
Leader of the Working Group Hillslope- and Ecohydrology
Investigation of hydrological processes with innovative experimental methods and numerical modelling:
- Influence of geomorphology, geology, vegetation, subsurface structures and preferential flow on hydrological response and water storage
- Soil moisture as a control for runoff response
- Use of tracers for the investigation of hydrological processes: stable isotopes, dye tracers, geogenic tracers, temperature
- Investigation of groundwater-surface water interactions with various methods, e.g. high spatial resolution fibre optic temperature sensing
- Dynamics and controls of groundwater recharge
- Connecting paleo-climatic proxy time series with recent hydrological data sets
since 2015 Leader of the Working Group "Hillslope and Ecohydrology"
March/May 2016 Distinguished Visiting Fellow University of Birmingham, UK
April 2009 – present Scientist at the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences.
Jan.-Feb. 2010 Guest Scientist at the University of Keele, UK.
April 2008–March 2009 Acting Head (Lehrstuhlvertretung) of the Chair „Water- and Matter Transport in Landscapes“, Leader of the working group „Hydrological Processes“, University of Potsdam.
Jan.2007-March 2008 Research associate within the Project „Room for the river/Retaining water in the landscape“- ERANET CRUE, Institute for Geoecology, University of Potsdam.
Aug.2002 – Dec.2007 PhD student at the Institute for Geoecology, University of Potsdam.
March 2002-Aug.2002 Research Assistant, Institute for Geoecology, University of Potsdam.
Sept. 2000-Aug. 2001 Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Bioresource Engineering, Oregon State University.
March/April 1999 Internship at the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Department of Limnophysics.
March/April 1998 Internship at the Institut of Terrestrial Ecology, Bangor, Wales, UK, Department of Geobiochemistry.
December 18th 2007 Defense of Doctoral Thesis. Title: „Hydrological processes in volcanic ash soils – Measuring, modeling and understanding runoff generation in an undisturbed catchment“
Aug. 2002 – Dez.2007 PhD student, Institute for Geoecology, University of Potsdam (a total of 12 months spent in Chile).
August 21st 2001 Defense of M.S. Thesis. Title: “Effect of Salinity on Particle Release and Changes in Hydraulic Conductivity in Sediments”.
Sept. 1999-Sept. 2001 Oregon State University, Corvallis.
Department of Bioresource Engineering, M.S. Program.
Oct. 1996- Sept. 1999 Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Major: Hydrology
Oct. 1995-Sept. 1996 University of Kaiserslautern, Major: Chemistry
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- DFG Research Unit (Forschergruppe) FOR 1598 From Catchments as Organised Systems to Models based on Dynamic Functional Units (CAOS) - Synthesizing remote sensing, geophysics and process hydrology with a suitable mathematical framework to improve hydrological modelling at the lower mesoscale (Duration: 2012-2018)
PI in Project G: "Hydrological connectivity and its controls on hillslope- and catchment scale stream flow generation"
PI in Project D: Spatio-temporal dynamics of water storage, mixing and releasePhase I:
PI in Project G: "Linking internal pattern dynamics and integral responses - Identification of dominant controls with a strategic sampling design" –
Co-PI in Project H: "Residence times across scales: from plot to catchment scale”
Co-PI in Project I: "From subsurface structures to functions and texture - linking virtual realities and experiments at the plot and hillslope scales”
- H2020 Marie Curie RISE project HIFREQ: Smart high-frequency environmental sensor networks for quantifying nonlinear hydrological process dynamics across spatial scales
- TERENO (Duration: 2011-2025): Coordinator of the hydrology work package
- ICLEA – Virtual Institute of Integrated Climate and Landscape Evolution Analysis (Duration: 2012-2017) – PI Work package 1: Hydrological and climate data
- Helmholtz Alliance Remote Sensing and Earth System Dynamics: WP H3: Development of GNSS reflectometry for soil moisture retrieval at the field scale and for global applications
Research Boards and Committees:
- Coordinator of the “Outstanding Student Poster Award for the Hydrological Sciences Division” at the EGU meetings (2011-2014)
- Convener at EGU and AGU meetings
- Chair of the AGU Technical Committee Hydrology-Surface Water
- Member of the EGU Subdivision on Catchment Hydrology
- EGU-Short Course: Field-instrumentation of research catchments
- Member of the steering committee of the German Hydrological Society (DHG)
- Member of the steering committee of ICLEA – The Virtual Institute of Integrated Climate and Landscape Evolution Analyses
- Referee for ISI journals (Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, Hydrological Processes, Journal of Hydrology, Water Resources Research,…)
- Editor for Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS)
- Editor of Frontiers in Earth Science
- Referee for the German Science Foundation (DFG)
- Referee for the Swiss Science Foundation SNF
- Initialization and maintenance of the “Experimental Hydrology Wiki”, a platform for the exchange of experiences with different types of hydrological equipment and the evaluation of sensors
- Experimental presentations at the „Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften“, a scientific outreach program
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- 2016 Distinguished Visiting Fellow University of Birmingham
- February 2009-February 2010 – selected participant within the ProFiL-Programme for scientific leadership training of the Technical University Berlin, the Humboldt-University Berlin, the Free University Berlin and the University of Potsdam
- 2008 YSOPP Award of the European Geosciences Union (Young Scientist Outstanding Poster Presentation Award)
- 2004 Scholarship of the Graduate School “Earth Surface Processes”
- 2002 Scholarship of the State of Brandenburg
- 2000 M.G. Cropsey Agricultural Engineering Scholarship
- 1999 Scholarship of the Baden-Württemberg – Oregon Exchange Programme
- EGU 2017
- 1st Workshop on Improving the Theoretical Underpinnings of Hydrologic Models, Bertinoro, 2016
- Birmingham 2016
- EGU 2013
- Keynote: Tag der Hydrologie 2013, Bern
- University of Freiburg, Kolloquium 2013
- Conference on Hydropedology 2012
- Drylands, Deserts and Desertification, Israel, November 2012
- IAHS Meeting, Delft 2012
- AGU 2011
- University of Keele 2010